Before the Conference
Volunteers are already working – Many hours of behind-the-scenes work take place in the months leading up to the MAFA Workshop weekend. Our heartfelt thanks to the MAFA Conference Steering Committee–a group of volunteers spread throughout the Mid-Atlantic who are already giving their time and energy to make our 2019 Conference a success.
Contact Conference Coordinator Theresa Hill to let her know if you can help with the organizing committee, or if you have questions.
At the Conference
Volunteering at the conference is a great way to get to know your fellow fiber artists and to be a part of the weekend. Look at the list below and start thinking of how YOU can become part of the 2019 Conference and make it the best one yet!
You can indicate your preferences on your registration form — or just volunteer to “help as needed” and we will find you a job!
- Workshop Assistants – Each instructor will have a classroom aide to assist during the workshop by collecting fees, locating supplies, rearranging tables or generally helping to make the class run smoothly. This is a great way to get to know your instructor!
- Registration Assistants – Meet everyone at the conference! Working in shifts, these volunteers will help to welcome participants as they sign in to the conference and to distribute registration packets and goody bags.
- Exhibit and Marketplace Monitors – Two people needed for each shift to keep an eye on displayed items and to give the vendors a chance to shop or to grab a bite to eat. Sign-up with a friend or get to know someone new. Day-trippers especially are needed to watch vendor booths during class sessions.
- Exhibit Display Equipment – If you have gridwall sections or mannequins, we would love to borrow them for the Fashion Exhibit. Please email the Fashion Show Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meet and Greet Instructors – Welcome instructors to the conference, help them find classrooms and deliver their supplies to their class.
- Workshop Building Guides – Help students find their classrooms and deliver supplies to their class. Participants really appreciate this assistance!
- Instructor Transportation – Pick up instructors at local airports or deliver them to the airport after the conference. This task is especially suited to those who live near the major area airports (Harrisburg, Baltimore and Philadelphia).
- Photographers – Bring your camera to take digital photos of participants in action and the beautiful works they create. Several photographers working together will be able to cover most workshops and events. And we need one person who can coordinate activities and assemble all the photos into a slide show after the conference.
- Reception Assistance – Help with the Thursday evening reception.
- and probably more things we haven’t thought of yet!
Emails will be sent to all volunteers to sign up for specific tasks and times after we have received your registration. Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!
To volunteer before registration begins, or if you have questions, contact Margaret Briggs, our Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com