Before the Conference
Volunteers are already working – Many hours of behind-the-scenes work take place in the months leading up to the MAFA Workshop weekend. Our heartfelt thanks to the MAFA Conference Steering Committee–a group of volunteers spread throughout the Mid-Atlantic who are already giving their time and energy to make our 2019 Conference a success.
Contact Conference Coordinator Theresa Hill to let her know if you can help with the organizing committee, or if you have questions.
At the Conference
Volunteering at the conference is a great way to get to know your fellow fiber artists and to be a part of the weekend. Look at the list below and start thinking of how YOU can become part of the 2019 Conference and make it the best one yet! Sign up now:
Sign up info for particular jobs and times will also be sent to all volunteers who indicate their interest on the registration form. If you don’t have a preference, volunteer to “help as needed” and we will find you a job!
- Classroom Assistants – Each instructor will have a classroom aide to assist during the workshop by collecting fees, locating supplies, rearranging tables or generally helping to make the class run smoothly. This is a great way to get to know your instructor!
- Registration Assistants – Meet everyone at the conference! Working in shifts, these volunteers will help to welcome participants as they sign in to the conference and to distribute registration packets and goody bags.
- Marketplace and Vendor Setup – Help set up the vendor area on Wednesday afternoon, and help vendors unload and set up their booths on Thursday morning.
- Exhibit and Marketplace Monitors – Volunteers are needed for each shift to keep an eye on displayed items and to give the vendors a chance to shop or to grab a bite to eat. Sign-up with a friend or get to know someone new.
- Exhibit Display Equipment – If you have gridwall sections or mannequins, we would love to borrow them for the Fashion Exhibit. Please email the Fashion Show Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Instructor Setup Assistants – Welcome instructors to the conference, help them find classrooms, deliver their supplies to their class, and set up the classroom.
- Workshop Building Guides – Help students find their classrooms and deliver supplies to their class. Participants really appreciate this assistance!
- Info/Help Desk – If you’ve been to a MAFA conference and Millersville before, help us at the Info/Help Desk when the MarketPlace is open.
- Photographers – Bring your camera to take digital photos of participants in action and the beautiful works they create. Several photographers working together will be able to cover most workshops and events.
- Reception Assistance – Help with the Thursday evening reception.
- And much more!
Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!
To volunteer before registration begins, or if you have questions, contact Margaret Briggs, Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org