As MAFA 2017 conference participants expressed overwhelming support for continuing the Fashion Show and Exhibit in 2019, we’re planning an even better Spotlight on Fashion in 2019!
The Fashion Exhibit will feature garments and accessories created by conference attendees and will be located in the Marketplace. Open all day Friday and Saturday of the conference, the exhibit will enable conference participants to study the works up close. A representative selection of the entries will be featured in Opening Night’s Fashion Show.
MAFA conference workshop participants are invited to submit original wearables. Consider choosing an item related to the 2019 Conference theme: United in Fiber. We hope this opportunity will inspire you to apply your creativity and fiber arts skills in producing handmade fashion such as garments, ensembles or accessories.
Rules for entry
- Any textile or fiber art technique may be used in the creation of a garment or accessory. Hand-processed techniques may include, but are not limited to, weaving, knitting, spinning, dyeing, felting, printing, stamping, painting, sewing, draping, stitching, tailoring, and pattern making.
- Wearable garments, accessories, and ensembles suitable for all body shapes, sizes, age and gender are eligible.
- All submissions will be included in the Fashion Exhibit.
- Owners of items selected for the Fashion Show will be notified by early June and are responsible for modeling the garment—either personally or finding someone to model it.
- Each registered workshop attendee may submit one item. (There is no entry fee.)
- Creation of the entry should be within the past two years, that is, since the 2017 MAFA Conference.
- Deadline for submissions to the Fashion Exhibit is Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
- Submissions will be online only. A link to the forms, when available, will be here.
Submission guidelines for fashion entries
- In addition to name of entry, type of item, fiber, and technique, submissions require two short descriptions (up to 250 words) describing:
- Source of inspiration for creation
- The process, including technical details such as weave structure, pattern modifications, etc.
- At least three digital images must accompany submissions. Requirements and specifications include:
- Maximum image size: 8MB each.
- Acceptable file formats: jpg, png, or pdf
- Labelling: Each digital image file must be labeled in the format:
- last name-entry name-photo view
- e.g. <smith-skirt-front.jpg> or <jones-scarf-detail.jpg>
- Close-up detail – At least one view required
- Other suggested views include:
- Front of entry
- Back of entry
- Entry being worn, if piece is finished
- If unfinished, work in progress
Fashion Exhibit Entry Form