Fashion Entry Rules, Requirements and Information:
MAFA conference attendees and members are invited to submit original wearables. Consider choosing an item related to the 2023 Conference theme: Hands On. We hope this opportunity will inspire you to apply your creativity and fiber arts skills in producing handmade fashion such as garments, ensembles or accessories.
Entries to the 2023 Fashion Show and Exhibit will open February 15, 2023 and must be completed online by midnight, May 15, 2023.
2023 Rules for entry:
- One entry per MAFA member or conference attendee may be submitted. There is no entry fee.
- Creation of the entry should be within the past two years (since the 2021 MAFA Conference).
- Instructors may participate in the exhibit but are not eligible for the People’s Choice awards.
- Any textile or fiber art technique may be used in the creation of a garment, ensemble, or accessory. Hand-processed techniques may include, but are not limited to, weaving, knitting, spinning, dyeing, felting, printing, stamping, painting, sewing, draping, stitching, tailoring, and pattern making.
- Our goal is to highlight originality in fashion. Items made from commercially available kits or following a published pattern draft without modifications are not acceptable. If made in a workshop, the item must demonstrate a significant amount of originality to be acceptable for this exhibit.
- Wearable garments, accessories, and ensembles suitable for all body shapes, sizes, age and gender are eligible.
- All accepted submissions will be included in the Fashion Exhibit.
- Owners of items selected for the Fashion Show will be notified by early June and are responsible for modeling the garment—either personally or finding someone to model it.
- Deadline for entries to the Fashion Exhibit is May 15, 2023.
- Entries will be online only.
Information Requested on the Entry Form:
- All applicable areas of the entry form must be filled in as completely as possible.
- Contact info
- Garment info – type, materials, and techniques used
- Inspiration – describe what inspired you to create this item
- Design or pattern
Submission guidelines for fashion entries
- In addition to name of entry, type of item, fiber, and technique, submissions require two short descriptions (up to 250 words) describing:
- Source of inspiration for creation
- The process, including technical details such as weave structure, pattern modifications, etc.
- At least three digital images must accompany submissions. Requirements and specifications include:
- Maximum image size: 8MB each.
- Acceptable file formats: jpg, jpeg, or png.
- Each digital image file must be labeled in the format: last name-entry name-photo view, e.g. smith-skirt-front.jpg or jones-scarf-detail.jpg.
- Close-up detail – At least one view required
- Other suggested views include:
- Front of entry
- Back of entry
- Entry being worn, if piece is finished
- If unfinished, work in progress