(310) FULL ~ Dye A Natural Color Wheel. Part 1 of 2
NOTE: This is a 1-day, 2-session class. Join Paula in her dye kitchen as she uses three dyepots to get colors to make up a “Natural Dyed Color Wheel.” Sharing the traditional ways, as well as modern solutions to collecting the supplies needed to get these colors, Paula demonstrates how she creates beautiful colors with natural dyes. Dye along during the sessions or take notes for your own dyeing day. Ask questions during the session and watch pots bubble while you learn about the dyes that have made the world bright throughout history.
Open to All
Maximum Class Size:
$3 covers PDF handout; OR $40 for dye kit that includes the PDF handout, ½ oz cochineal, 1 oz osage orange, ½ oz natural indigo, 1 oz aluminum sulfate, 1 tablespoon cream of tartar, 1 ½ oz aluminum acetate, 2 oz washing soda, 2 oz sodium hydrasulfite, ½ oz pH up, ½ oz pH down, ½ oz copper sulfate, and a ring for winding your color wheel. Includes priority mail shipping. Order the kit from Paula at firstname.lastname@example.org before June 1, 2021.
- Yarn: 9-11 small skeins of about 10 yds each. It can be 100% wool, mohair, silk, cotton, ramie, linen or hemp OR;
- Fabric: 9-11 samples of prewashed fabric, wool, silk or cotton, etc. pre-cut into equal-sized squares, no more than 8-9 inches.
- A full supply list will be sent prior to the class, along with the homework assignment.
- PDF in-depth handout will be provided to all students for $3.
- A dye kit that includes the PDF in-depth handout and supplies will be available for $40.
If you plan to dye along with Paula, you will need to pre-mordant your yarn or fabric. If using plant materials, use the alum acetate recipe.