(304) Dye-licious: Colors to Feast On
We will take raw white yarn and breath new life into it by creating unique colorways from inspirational images. Using fiber reactive dyes (e.g., Procion MX), we will dive into the wonderful world of dyeing cellulose fibers. We will cover a large array of techniques to achieve effects such as semi-solid, tonal, speckled, hand-painted, and warp and weft pooling!
We will work with both raw dye pigment powders and liquid dyes. Don’t worry though. You don’t have to be a chemist! I will walk you through several ways to go about dyeing from creating repeatable formulas to going with the flow and embracing the magic of color blending. You will gain a confidence in creating a whole spectrum of colors and seeing how they can be combined.
Experimentation is encouraged with an emphasis on color and flow. The dyed yarns will be great to use in weaving, knitting, and crochet projects! Bring your skeins, warps, and any other plant-based fiber and let’s make a visual color feast!
Maximum Class Size:
$25 covers dyes, gloves, and foam brushes.
- Cellulose Yarn wound into either skeins or warps to dye.
- Any yarn that is at least 60% cellulose will be appropriate .
- Squirt bottles/ glass jars with lids (something to mix liquid dye in).
- Shower curtain liner or heavy plastic to cover the table.
- Dust mask (can be cloth up to a N95)
- Apron or cloths that can get dye on them
- Tape measure
- Measuring spoon set for dye (not to be used for food again)
- Inspiration images printed out in color (does not need to be on photo paper can be normal printer paper)
- Optional: Cellulose fabric to try some of these techniques.