(511) Lattice Braids of Kongō Gumi: 16-element Braiding on a Foam Disk
Bring your round foam braiding disk, key rings, and yarns to learn the movements of Kongō Gumi braiding on the foam disk. Through a PowerPoint presentation, participants will see the wide variety of designs possible in the structure of Kongō Gumi by varying the placement of elements in the slots. Participants will receive instructions in advance via email for six different lattice designs using two colors. They will also learn the layout for several classic four-color braids.
Open to All
Maximum Class Size:
- Foam braiding disk. (available from braidershand.com/kumihimo-disk/)
- Key ring, about 1 inch in size.
- Film canister or medicine bottle filled with 22 pennies OR a 2 ounce fishing weight (be sure you can attach a string to the fishing weight.)
- 8 inch string to attach to key ring and drop inside penny-filled bottle or attach to fishing weight.
- Prepare eight braiding elements, each 36″ long. 4 elements Color A and 4 elements Color B. These will fold in half for 8 elements A and 8 elements B
- Suggested materials for braiding elements:
- Satin rattail cord.
- Sugar and Cream 4-ply cotton.
- ¼ inch polyester ribbon (Michael’s used to carry this item by Offray – Spool O’ Ribbon)
- Two strands embroidery floss for each working element
Recommended resource for further study (not required): Kongō Gumi: A Cacophony of Spots-Coils-Zags-Lines, by Rosalie Neilson. Retail: $50, Conference Special: $45 including shipping. Email order to email@example.com.