(201) Start to Spin, and More! ~ FULL
Learn to spin–and so much more! After we explore the anatomy and maintenance of various spinning wheels, we’ll tackle both worsted and woolen drafting techniques—as well as the influence of sheep breeds on these spinning choices. We’ll practice teasing and carding wool while we discuss how to select and scour raw fleeces. As we delve into plying, we’ll further discuss how to record our wooly adventures for future reference. You’ll leave class both with confidence in how to approach your wheel, the wool, and your future spinning efforts, as well as simple assignments to continue increasing your skill-set!
Maximum Class Size:
$15 covers fibers, handouts, and use of tools.
- Spinning wheel in good working order, with at least three bobbins (four, if available).
- Measuring tape or ruler.
- Cards and/or combs, if available.
- Lazy kate, if available.
- Roving, batts, or clean locks of single-breed wools about which students have questions.
- Knitting needles and/or crochet hooks in assorted sizes for swatching.
- Note-taking materials.
- Note: Loaner wheels can be provided by instructor for a rental fee of $15. Contact Instructor to make arrangements.