(122) Warp it! Paint it! Weave it! ~ FULL
Explore on-loom and off-loom warp painting techniques using fabric paints. This direct and spontaneous method of applying color to yarn can be used for functional or non-functional pieces. Note: We will be working with paint, not dye. There are few rules to warp painting and students are encouraged to ask themselves “what if.”
Students, who will come with looms dressed with a warp provided by the instructor, will learn Kathie’s method of preparing a warp for off-loom warp painting that assures threads are evenly spaced and under tension for ease of painting. The use of a cartoon is optional. Students will go home with an on-loom warp-painted weaving and an off-loom painted warp to weave at home.
Maximum Class Size:
$25 covers 8/2 unmercerized cotton yarn for two warps, paint, plastic table cover, craft paper for optional cartoon, masking tape, weft yarn, instructional handouts, use of brushes, paint containers, spray bottles.
4-shaft Loom, Pre-warped
- 4-shaft table or floor loom, 12” minimum width.
- Additional 12-dent reed (in addition to reed in the loom), at least 15” wide.
- Lease sticks.
- Bobbin winder
- Reed hook.
- Tape measure.
- 4 “easy release” clamps.
Weight (this is to hold warp in place while threading, such as a heavy book).
- Hair dryer with extension cord.
- OPTIONAL: Postcard/photo for color inspiration.
- OPTIONAL: Weft yarn (various colors, your choice)
- Pre-warp your 4-shaft table or floor loom with a 12 minimum width with instructor-provided 2 1/2 yard warp length.
- Thread and sley at 24 ends per inch for an 8 inch weaving width.