The MAFA Conference Fellowship Program was established to support guild members working with fiber; to help promote, expand and preserve fiber arts; and to encourage the sharing of valuable information within the MAFA community and with the general public.
The award provides a fellowship to a conference participant who will pass on knowledge gained at the Conference within the MAFA region. The fellowship awardee may do so in an educational setting, guild meeting, a study group, a public demonstration, or any other appropriate venue. The entire award is paid post-conference, once all program requirements are fulfilled.
Criteria for Selection
Fellowships are awarded based on the applicant’s involvement in and serious intention to promote fiber arts as well as the applicant’s commitment to maintain a continued dialogue with MAFA.
- Attendance at the upcoming MAFA Conference is required.
- Fellowships are open to any member of a MAFA guild and to any MAFA associate member who is resident in the MAFA region (DE, DC, MD, NC, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV).
- The applicant must be nominated by her/his MAFA guild or by a teacher or mentor residing in the MAFA region.
- The applicant must be involved in the fiber arts, specifically weaving, spinning, dyeing, or felting.
The applicant may be at any level of expertise (novice, intermediate, experienced). Financial need is not a criterion.
Application Process and Timeline
- Applicants for a MAFA Fellowship must first register for the 2019 MAFA Conference.
- Submit an online application no later than April 1, 2019.
A downloadable Fellowship Application Preview is available.
- Include a description of a post-conference fellowship project, detailing how the knowledge and skills acquired at the conference will be shared with others in the MAFA region.
- Attach a letter of recommendation from a board member of the sponsoring MAFA guild, or, if you are an Associate Member, from a teacher or mentor in the MAFA region. Alternately, the letter of recommendation may be submitted directly to email@example.com. The application is incomplete until both the online form and the letter of recommendation are received.
- All applicants will be notified of MAFA’s decision on or before May 15 of the conference year.
In order to receive her/his award, each fellowship recipient is expected to:
- Attend the 2019 MAFA Conference and participate in their selected conference workshop.
- After the conference, submit a written report on the experience gained and detailing plans for your fellowship project. This is an opportunity to clarify or modify the original project plans from your application, as needed. This initial report may be published on the MAFA website, and is due by October 1, 2019.
- Plan to complete your proposed fellowship project no later than December 2019.
- Submit a final fellowship project report. including photographs. Attach MAFA Photo Release forms, as needed, in accordance with MAFA’s photo release guidelines. This report and related photos, which will also be published on the MAFA website, is due by December 1, 2019, unless a later date is agreed to by the Grants Committee.
- Arrange for a guild board member of the sponsoring guild (or your sponsoring teacher) to send a letter or email to the Grants Committee confirming completion of the fellowship project.
Reports and photographs should be submitted via email to the Grants Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. The reports should be suitable for posting on the MAFA website. That is, do not include your email, phone number or other personal information. Please attach the report rather than typing it into the body of the email. PDF format is preferred.
For questions or more information, please contact the Grants Committee at email@example.com.