Let’s continue the Kitchen Towel Exchange tradition we began in 2019. It was fun, inspiring to see all those treasures, and we all learned so much. It may be a bit more challenging to do this by mail, but we are up for it. So, reserve a spot on your loom and spare some warp to create a towel for trading with another weaver!
How will this work?
Each participant will weave a towel, complete an online information form, and mail it to the organizers – the Fredericksburg (VA) Spinners and Weavers Guild is coordinating the exchange. Once received, towels will be photographed for digital display, creation of an e-book, and entry in the MAFA Sample Database. Towels will be randomly assigned to their new owners and mailed to them. Costs are minimal – you provide your own materials and mail the towel to the exchange organizers, MAFA will mail your new towel to you.
Entry Submission Requirements and Information:
Entries to the 2021 Kitchen Towel Exchange will open January 15, 2021 and close when the exchange is full, or midnight, March 31, 2021
- Open to the first 80 MAFA members, Associate members, or 2021 MAFA instructors to sign up online.
- One entry per person – welcoming all levels of weavers.
- Width – minimum finished width of 18 inches (bear this in mind during planning stages – you may want at least 20 inches width on the loom).
- Length – finished length after hemming of 25 inches minimum (bear this in mind during planning stages – you may want to weave at least 30 inches on the loom).
- Colors – weaver’s choice.
- Weave structure – weaver’s choice (does NOT need to be an original design).
- Fiber content – cotton, cottolin, linen, hemp, or ramie. Accent fibers (optional) should not exceed approximately 5% of the total fibers used.
- Hems – weaver’s choice (fringed, hemstitched, turned hem, etc.).
- Complete an online project sheet (a PDF version will be made available). If you use a pattern that is not your own original, be sure to cite the creator.
- Label your towel before mailing it with your full name and the name of your guild.
Keep in mind the following dates:
- Register by midnight March 31, 2021 (we may close early if full).
- Towels and the online project sheet MUST be received by the organizers no later than May 1, 2021.
- Towels will be mailed to their new owners by May 31, 2021.
- An e-book of all the towels and their project sheets will be available by the conference.
Information Requested on the Project Info Form:
- Contact info
- Fibers and/or materials and techniques used
- Number of shafts, sett, epi
- Design, pattern, and source
- Draft and treadling: we will ask you to upload or email a file showing the draft, tie-up, and treadling used for this towel. Files in .wif format are preferred, but this may also be a .pdf, .jpeg, or .png of your draft (whether hand-drawn or computer-generated). You can scan the draft or take a picture of it (even with your phone). If you are hand-drawing your draft, consider using one of these drawdown blanks:
4-shaft drawdown (PDF)
8-shaft drawdown (PDF)
4-shaft drawdown (Word)
8-shaft drawdown (Word)
Questions? Contact the Towel Exchange Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.