Fashion Entry Rules, Requirements and Information:
MAFA conference attendees and members are invited to submit original wearables. Consider choosing an item related to the 2023 Conference theme: Hands On. We hope this opportunity will inspire you to apply your creativity and fiber arts skills in producing handmade fashion such as garments, ensembles or accessories.
Entries to the 2023 Fashion Show and Exhibit will open February 15, 2023 and must be completed online by midnight, May 22, 2023.
2023 Rules for entry:
- One entry per MAFA member or conference attendee may be submitted. There is no entry fee.
- Creation of the entry should be within the past two years (since the MAFA 2021 Conference).
- Instructors may participate in the exhibit but are not eligible for prizes awarded.
- Any textile or fiber art technique may be used in the creation of a garment, ensemble, or accessory. Hand-processed techniques may include, but are not limited to, weaving, knitting, spinning, dyeing, felting, printing, stamping, painting, sewing, draping, stitching, tailoring, and pattern making.
- Our goal is to highlight originality in fashion. Items made from commercially available kits or following a published pattern or project without modifications are not acceptable. The use of a commercial sewing, knitting, or crochet pattern is acceptable, but there must be significant originality in the final piece. Items created primarily of commercial fabric must be significantly altered or manipulated in some manner for inclusion in the Fashion Exhibit. If made in a workshop, the item must demonstrate a significant amount of originality to be acceptable for this exhibit.
- Wearable garments, accessories, and ensembles suitable for all body shapes, sizes, age and gender are eligible.
- All accepted submissions will be included in the Fashion Exhibit.
- Owners of items selected for the Fashion Show will be notified by early-June. Conference attendees are responsible for modeling the garment—either personally or finding someone to model it. Remote participants have the option of having the Fashion Show committee assign someone to model their piece at the show.
- Deadline for entries to the Fashion Exhibit is May 22, 2023.
- Entries will be online only.
Submission guidelines for fashion entries
All applicable areas of the entry form must be filled in as completely as possible.
- Contact info.
- Garment info: name of entry, type of item, fiber, and technique.
- Two short descriptions (up to 250 words) describing:
– Source of inspiration for creation;
– The design process, including details such as weave structure, pattern modifications, etc.
- At least three digital images, but no more than seven, digital images must accompany submissions. Maximum image size is 8MB each. Acceptable file formats are: jpg, jpeg, or png. If you are not able to upload images from your device, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name each image file in this format: last name-entry name-photo view e.g. smith-skirt-front.jpg or jones-scarf-detail.jpg.
- Suggested views include:
– Front of entry
– Back of entry
– Entry being worn, required (can count as front or back photo)
– At least one close-up detail shot
– Work in progress, i.e. on the loom
– Inspiration for entry