Hat Exhibit Entry Rules, Requirements and Information:
MAFA conference attendees and members are invited to submit hats of all sorts, functional and artistic, appropriate to the theme Mad Hatter!
Entries to the 2023 Hat Exhibit will open February 15, 2023 and must be completed online by midnight, May 22, 2023.
2023 Rules for Hat Entries:
- One entry per MAFA member or conference attendee may be submitted.
- There is no entry fee.
- Creation of the entry should be within the past two years (since the 2021 MAFA Conference).
- Instructors may participate in the exhibit but are not eligible for the People’s Choice awards.
- Any textile or fiber art technique may be used in the creation of a hat Hand-processed techniques may include, but are not limited to, weaving, knitting, spinning, dyeing, felting, printing, stamping, painting, sewing, and stitching.
- Our goal is to highlight originality. Items made from commercially available kits or following a published pattern draft without modifications are not acceptable. If made in a workshop, the item must demonstrate a significant amount of originality to be acceptable for this exhibit.
- Deadline for entries to the Hat Exhibit is May 22, 2023.
- Entries will be online only.
Information Requested on the Entry Form:
- All applicable areas of the entry form must be filled in as completely as possible.
- Contact info
- Item info – type, materials, and techniques used
- Inspiration – describe what inspired you to create this item
Submission guidelines for Hat Exhibit Entries
- In addition to name of entry, type of item, fiber, and technique, submissions require two short descriptions (up to 250 words) describing:
1. Source of inspiration for creation
2. The process, including details such as felting technique, pattern modifications, etc.
- At least three digital images must accompany submissions.
- Image requirements include: maximum image size 8MB each; acceptable file formats: jpg, jpeg, or png.
- Each digital image file must be labeled in the format: last name-entry name-photo view, e.g. smith-hat-front.jpg or jones-hat-detail.jpg.
- If you are not able to upload photos from your device, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At least one close-up detail view is required.
- Other suggested views include:
– Front of entry
– Back of entry
– Entry being worn, if piece is finished
– Work in progress, if unfinished.